However crass the above words are, they truly and aptly sum up the reaction after watching the movie. With this movie Bollywood has truly come of age and it totally kicks ass.
And ‘ass’ is exactly what the movie starts with giving you a flavor of what is about to be thrown at you.
Let’s quickly get over with the story as that isn’t the most extraordinary thing about this movie. The movie is about 3 flatmates – Tashi (Imraan Khan), Arun (Vir Das), Nitin (Kunal Roy Kapoor) who accidently get embroiled in a diamond smuggling ring. Tashi’s girlfriend (Shehnaaz Treasurywala) unknowingly acts as a courier to deliver diamonds for Vijay Raaz. She gives the package to Tashi to deliver to an address who the gives it to Nitin and who in turn gives two packages to Arun and they get mixed up and the wrong one reaches Vijay Raaz. And then the story takes a wild turn.
Now the story isn’t anything exceptional, it’s the treatment that makes the movie stand out. The movie is one of a kind that has come in a really long time. The English version is mostly in English and portrays how normal youngsters talk these days in big cities like Mumbai & Delhi. If the movie wasn’t treated delicately, then the fine balance between cheapness & crass humor could’ve been lost.
All the actors are aptly casted and even the smallest character has done his/her bit and make the movie a perfect watch.The director has paid attention to even the smallest details like the Haryanvi accent of the sidekicks. The Potty humor, the background music, the language, the character sketches, the look of the characters everything works for the movie and only an Amir Khan could have pulled it off.
The movie might not sit well with people with a more conservative sense of humor. Though the opening revenue of the film suggests otherwise.
It is DEFINITELY a must watch, even if you watch it for the sheer joy of watching something out of the league than the regular bollywood potboilers.
Shit did happen in this movie but we ain’t complaining…I say go for it!
- IMDB Rating – 8.6/10
- Shooting for the film began in August 2008 in Delhi. But due to many technical reasons, the film finally got released after three years in July 2011.
- Imran Khan gave four screen test and then he finally got chosen for the role in his uncle Aamir Khan‘s movie ‘Delhi Belly‘.
- For an item girl in the film, earlier the makers were thinking for Katrina Kaif, Deepika Padukone and Malaika Arora Khan. But finally they chosen MTV VJ Anusha Dandekar.
- To bring in good luck for his approaching home production ‘Delhi Belly’, Aamir has made up his mind to wear the same blue T-shirt which he had donned on the World Cup 2011 finals, on the release date of the film.
- Writer of the film Akshat Verma especially come down from Los Angles to Mumbai to meet Aamir. While Aamir was busy with some shoot so Akshat gave the script to the maid of Aamir’s house. By a strange quirk of fate, Kiran Rao read the script first. There was a pile of 200 scripts next to Aamir and Kiran picked up the first one and started reading. She started laughing and her laughter increased that she fell from the sofa. Aamir asked her what she was reading. She said that its Delhi Belly.
- Bhag D.K. Bose Aandhi Aayi, the song that has become a raging hit, was included in the film at the last moment and was composed just a few weeks ago, much after the principal shooting of the film was over.
- To ensure that his prime protagonists got the plot, language, setting and milieu just right, Aamir and director Abhinay Deo come up with a 100-hour-long crash course. It was a 10-day-long crash course, and all actors holed up in a room for up to 10 hours at a stretch along with the producer and director. The focus on these meetings was on ensuring the trio of actors got their gaalis right, and react naturally to the adult humour.
- Delhi Belly: Wacky, tongue in cheek (vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com)
- Delhi Belly an adult comic film (newmovierelease.wordpress.com)
- Delhi Belly strictly for Adults says Aamir (aamirkhanblog.wordpress.com)
- Another tentative Aamir production with Kiran Rao (satyamshot.wordpress.com)
- Delhi Belly (abhisheksardar.wordpress.com)